Auto accidents: What if the other guy has no insurance?

All car accidents are unpleasant. If you are injured, a car accident can be a real strain, both physically and financially. But what if the other party is at fault, and you find out he has no insurance or just the minimum limits?

There are three coverages that come into play:

Collision: If you have collision coverage on your car, it covers you regardless of who is at fault. If you don’t have collision and the other guy doesn’t have insurance, you are out of luck.

Personal Injury Protection: This is the no-fault coverage for medical expenses for all occupants of your car.  It also provides limited coverage for loss of wages.  The state minimum is $50,000 per person, but we recommend that you purchase the maximum (currently $175,000 per person).

Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This provides coverage when you get a judgment against the other driver, but he doesn’t have sufficient liability coverage. This coverage often comes into play with more serious accidents where you get a judgment to cover high medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and even permanent disability. The state minimum is only $25,000 per person, but we recommend at least $300,000. You may never use this coverage, but if you have a serious accident you’ll be glad you have it.

Want to review your auto insurance? Give us a call or drop us an email.

For more information, drop by our website at, or get in touch with me.

The information in this post is general in nature, and geared toward insurance conditions in Western New York.  As always, you should speak with an insurance adviser to determine your specific insurance needs.

Comments are closed.

Privacy Policy | Information Security Policy | rochester seo