Do you own a "recreational motor vehicle"?

Most people think recreational vehicles are covered by their home insurance, but coverage is very limited.  Dirt bikes, snowmobiles, mopeds, go-karts, 4-wheelers, golf carts, even lawn tractors all need special consideration to be properly insured. Any vehicle subject to motor vehicle registration (like a car or motorcycle) must have separate coverage on an auto-type policy.

Actual damage to the recreational vehicle is not covered at all in most homeowners policies.  The only vehicles that are covered are those designed to help the handicapped (like a motorized wheelchair) and those used to service the premises (like a lawn tractor).

Liability coverage for recreational vehicles is also limited. You could be at risk for injuries or property damage caused while you are using a motorized recreational vehicle. In general, liability for these vehicles is only covered while at the residence premises. Once you drive off the premises, your coverage stops. Some companies do cover golf carts and lawn tractors off-premises.

The bottom line? If you own any motorized vehicles other than your cars, check with your agent to make sure you have the coverage you need. You can insure recreational vehicles, either by adding them to your auto policy or getting a separate policy, usually at a very low cost.

Are you looking for ways to save on your car insurance?

For more information, drop by our website at, or get in touch with me.

The information in this post is general in nature, and geared toward insurance conditions in Western New York.  As always, you should speak with an insurance adviser to determine your specific insurance needs.

Comments are closed.

Privacy Policy | Information Security Policy | rochester seo